Sunday, February 8, 2009

The trash bounty continues







Since yesterday's thaw, I've been marveling at the migratory patterns of garbage under snow. Seriously, where does it all come from? The grocery bags and candy wrappers I sort of get. But empty laundry detergent containers? Unopened containers of deli meat? Wouldn't we notice this rubbish and clean it up before the snowfall? A dollar to the most compelling theory.

This morning, though, as I walked Inez, I came across this guy -- frozen solid and flat in a pile of newly revealed leaves -- as if to say, It's not all bad. His next adventure will be in our washing machine, after which he'll be bequeathed to one of our tiny-handed friends. I'm thinking probably Celia, our next-door-neighbor, who's been inspired by the warm weather to construct a minature playhouse under our porch.