Saturday, April 24, 2010

Green Thumbs

It may not have been the nicest day for a neighborhood clean-up, but that didn't deter the nicest people from coming out to lend a hand.

Here are several of us, tending our little corner garden, which now features transplanted perennials from five different backyards. It also showcases the handiwork of some pretty tiny hands, including those of two-year-old Cora (not pictured), who kept begging me, "Please find me a worm. I like to hold him."

Alas, there were no worms to be found today, at least in our little garden bed. But there were troops of good neighbors, all doing their part to pick up litter, dig out dandelions, spread mulch, prune hedges, and encourage their little ones to join the effort. We even got a visit from the alderman. And when our cantankerous neighbor Marcelino came out to join the action, then told me I had a certain "vintage homeless" look, well, that took me over the moon.

3 comments:

tracy said...

What an inspiring gang! I need to get out there in the dirt, too!

Christy said...

Tracy, come get in the dirt up thisaway! You can help us to get our local gangs to trade in their guns for shovels.

tracy said...

I like the idea of "Guns 4 Shovels" t-shirts!