Saturday, May 2, 2009

Signs of the Times

A neighboring artist/sound engineer rents a storefront apartment that provides a picture window for his 'work.' The place has seen better days, but I have to give the guy credit for trying. For about 6 months he displayed a collage of food photos from what I'm guessing was a stint as a local magazine photographer. The first few weeks it all looked pretty delicious. But as the sun started to take its toll, each dish became about as appetizing as real food left out in the elements that long. Faded turkey legs. Gray omelets. Yummy.

His latest installation is hard to see (the fault of my camera delay), but it's an image of a guy playing guitar in front of a light show that creates a kind of strobe effect. The whole thing runs on a constant loop on an old, beat-up television. And even though this is better than when the guy had a video camera connected to the tv, so you'd see yourself reflected on the screen as you walked by (creepy), I've found myself wondering if this really is the best use of this exhibit window. Is this really what we come up with, as a culture, when life presents us the tools and opportunity?

Then again, as I continue to walk down the street and see window displays like this . . .











and this . . .











and this . . .











and this . . .













I have to acknowledge: it'll do.

2 comments:

kkurtz said...

actually, I liked the half blank tv screen w/only that fellows feet showing. (it peaked my curiosity)
I'm disappointed to discover that it's only the effect of your slow camera.

where is this storefront located? oh, who am I kidding, I'm never going to walk by it, anyway.

leslie said...

I enjoy the snarky quotation marks around "work." I've been feeling a lot of that myself lately!